• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KapiScrap
    Scrap Guru
    • Jun 2010

Designer Monthly Challenge - February 2012 - Hosted by Sandrine Boarqueiro

Hello everyone!

So I'm hosting the Designer Monthly Challenge for February :-)

I'll come back here soon with all the instructions for this challenge. Give me a few days... I need to think about it :-)

Sandrine

KapiScrap ScrapbookMAX store
  • KapiScrap
    Scrap Guru
    • Jun 2010

Hello everyone!

That's OK. I know now what I'm going to ask you :-)

You will use the "shape" feature in SBM. As you might know you can select the option "Shape" for a photo or a paperscrap. But you can't for a background paper.

To access to this feature you should double click on the photo or the paperscrap... Then the Properties dialog box is displaying and in the options you can select "Custom shape"... you can also invert the shape. So you only need to browse to select the desired shape.

So for this first step I will ask you to create a layout with:
    1. an only one paper (the paper which will be in the background) and you will apply a shape to this paper.
    Note that you will have to add this paper as a paperscrap or a photo if you want to use a custom shape.
    2. an only one photo and you will apply the same custom shape as in 1. BUT you will select the option "Invert shape". The photo will be in the middle of your page.
    3. Add a few embellishments on the same side of the page... not more than 10. Don't hesitate to use transparency for some of them... if you want to create a special effect on your paper.
    4. Add a caption text.
    5. Your layout will be about love or friendship.

For this challenge it's better to use what we call a "mask"... A mask is a Shape but it can have different levels of transparency. You might find some in your Shapes directory... If you don't have masks, please let me know. I have some masks in freebies on one of my sites...

So here is an example of the kind of layouts I want you to do...

KapiColors57.jpg

Credit: Forever Adorable - KapiScrap

If something is unclear, please let me know.

Now that you've read carefully allthe instructions, you can start to work :-)

Sandrine
    Last edited by KapiScrap; 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• fonzzy
      Layout Whiz
      • Feb 2011

Comment

• Saviscrap
        • Nov 2011

Ok here is my first attempt!

I am not entirely happy and I will have another go at this.

But I used a mask i had, and i thank you kapi because I finally worked out how these masks are supposed to be used properly, i had one of these light bulb moments!!

I used only the butterflies as embies as the page is busy enough by itself without adding too much clutter.

You wanted a caption text, but it already had a word "blessed in the mask, so I went with that word, I hope that is ok.

Comment

• Carena
          Digi Sage
          • Jun 2007

Hope this is what you mean.
          I Used: 1 paper, 1 lily cluster (repeated and top left corner I repeat but lowered opacity so it blends into the paper), Photo mask (shape) and word art from the Always My Love Collection. Soon to be in store here at Scrapbook Max

Kind wishes from Carena
          Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
          Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Comment

• Carena
            Digi Sage
            • Jun 2007

Here is another one. Credits in gallery - all scrapbook Max products.
            Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Saviscrap
              • Nov 2011

Ok here is another attempt, it seems like I don't have enough on the page! Not sure if it's ok but...I will let you be the judge

This is Carenas Vintage Rose blossom background and Embie. The mask....I have no idea lol it's just one I found in my scrapbook stuff.

Comment

• Carena
                Digi Sage
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by wench View Post
                Ok here is another attempt, it seems like I don't have enough on the page! Not sure if it's ok but...I will let you be the judge Page is stunning. RE: enough on page - a larger cluster would fill the page more and as my designers eye wonders over the page - taking the cluster up and around the mask would be the direction I would go in but then I love to load it up with lots. LOL. Word Art is fabulous.

This is Carenas Vintage Rose blossom background and Embie. The mask....I have no idea lol it's just one I found in my scrapbook stuff.

Fabulous pagej. Seems we are both having a ball with this challenge. Thanks Sandrine for inspiring us.
                Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Saviscrap
                  • Nov 2011

Thanks Carena, i played with the one in SBM and yeah the cluster a bit bigger does look better. I tried before to have 2 of the same cluster around the mask, but to me...a rank amateur, it looked too cluttered. Maybe my 3rd attempt will be the best!!

Oh i forgot to say before your 2 are stunning!

Comment

• Tweety
                    • Jan 2012

Hi. I need some masks. Thanks.
                    Tweety

Comment

• KapiScrap
                      Scrap Guru
                      • Jun 2010

Your pages are absolutely stunning!!!

Tweety, I'm going to email you a link where you could find some masks for free... And I'll add a lnk in the Favorite Sites For Scrapbook MAX!-ers section.

Sandrine

Comment

• KapiScrap
                        Scrap Guru
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by KapiColors View Post
                        1. an only one paper (the paper which will be in the background) and you will apply a shape to this paper.
                        Note that you will have to add this paper as a paperscrap or a photo if you want to use a custom shape.
                        2. an only one photo and you will apply the same custom shape as in 1. BUT you will select the option "Invert shape". The photo will be in the middle of your page.
                        3. Add a few embellishments on the same side of the page... not more than 10. Don't hesitate to use transparency for some of them... if you want to create a special effect on your paper.
                        4. Add a caption text.
                        I REALLY APOLOGIZE FOR THE CONFUSION. I'VE JUST NOTICED THAT I MADE A MISTAKE.

YOU SHOULD READ:

1. an only one paper (the paper which will be in the background) and you will apply a shape to this paper. BUT you will select the option "Invert shape".
                        2. an only one photo and you will apply the same custom shape as in 1. The photo will be in the middle of your page.
                        4. Add a caption text.

P.S.: Don't apply a shadow on the custom shape as it's a mask.

Comment

• Letha
                          Layout Whiz
                          • Feb 2007

I hope this is wanted Sandrine.

Comment

• KapiScrap
                            Scrap Guru
                            • Jun 2010

Yes :-)
                            Perhaps you could try to add some transparency on your photo. Make a try and you should see the difference :-)
                            Sandrine

Comment

• tin tin
                              Digi Sage
                              • Oct 2010

letha - great layout.....the picture says it all even without your text
                              Everyone's layouts are gorgeous! I find masks mak everything that much more elegant!
                              Somewhere in all the madness lies the beauty within

Comment

Working...
                              X