Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Question

Hi all you pet lovers out there!

I have a question for you - we have a beautiful little dog who's the most wonderful pal - friendly, well behaved, affectionate. Problem is, we don't hang out with a lot of other "dog" folks so he doesn't get to see many other four legged friends - and there's nothing he loves more than meeting other dogs on our walks, even the big ones!

We've talked about getting a second little guy - we think it would be fun for us and our little guy - but I'm wondering what you more experienced pet people think. We've never had a dog before, so it's all new to us.

Any advice, stories, wisdom about adding a second dog to the family would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Karin

Karen,

One of the most important things to remember is to treat your first dog as the "alpha" dog! Feed him first, give him treats first, pet him first, etc. This will establish the "pecking order" when the 2nd dog come home with you. Otherwise, they will fight for dominance...

You know, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"

In my house, it's Shelley (my wife), Chomps (male Black Lab), Willow (female Black Lab), and finally me... I get fed last, treats last, petted last...

Steve
    sigpic
    Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
    My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

We got Rufistanovich to keep Candy company. At first she was jelous, but now they are great buddies, and it's really good for her, cause we are gone sometimes for many hours. So I would say.... Go for it!

Granny
      sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

i don't know so much about dogs, but I guess it's important to make sure you'll have time for both of them, and that none will feel left out.

Comment

Steve, you poor baby, why don't you go to your house outside and count your blessings? You know, the little house with the bone picture over the entrance?

Granny
          sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Comment

Two Dogs

Hi Karen,

We have two dogs and everything Steve mentioned is true! Your first dog needs to be the leader or alpha leader of the two dogs. Size doesn't matter! Then remember that you are the Supreme Alpha Leader of the whole dog pack!! Our two dogs are very close and keep each other company. I think you'll enjoy it.

Have you heard of "The Dog Whisperer". It's an excellent book and program on TV. It helps explain the pack mentality that all dogs have!

Good luck!
            Julie

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice - I REALLY appreciate it ! I will do some pondering, and I promise to post some layouts of my "two" sweeties - if we choose to go that route!

If there are any more thoughts out there on bringing home a second dog, I'd love to hear them- I'm an "information hound" myself !

Thanks again!

Karin

Comment

Big Family

I think Steve is pretty well on the mark. We have 4 dogs and our first girl is still top dog, which is important. Our boys tried to dominate at first when they grew up but with a bit of encouragement from us they have all found their order in the family and are very content. We've always had more than one dog and I think it is good for them. They have company and a playmate while you are at work or out.Best of luck and remember 'The more the merrier.'

Comment

Originally posted by Granny
                  Steve, you poor baby, why don't you go to your house outside and count your blessings? You know, the little house with the bone picture over the entrance?

Granny
                  Thanks Granny ... Woof Woof!

Karin,

The funny thing was when we went looking for a new dog (our dog, Tasha of 10 yrs past away from cancer), we only wanted one, but we saw these two ( who were brother & sister from the same litter), in my infinite wisdom, I said "Hey, can we do two for the price of one?" The rest is history

http://www.iireproductions.com/clien...terDogs/ss.htm
                  sigpic
                  Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
                  My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

Woodydyyy, woofddyydyy, woooddyyyyffyyyyyyy!!!!

Steve, sorry to hear about your doggy.

Well, yes, the more the merrier. They get lonely just like we do. And you should see the way my dogs play with the cat. He is twice their size, but they all love each other. It's really wonderful.

So, Karin, really, go for it, after the first set of furniture is gone, the yard digged up, the shoes eaten, and the fleas take over, what different does it make whether you have one or ten?

Granny
                    sigpic

Comment

They do better with a mate

We have two Poms and they are just like two kids. We love them to death!

Mitsy is 3 years old, and Faren is 2 years old.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I agree there is happiness in numbers,they do get lonely by themselves & can
                        be destructive,my Jack Russell & Kitty love each other & when they
                        play together it's a wonderful sight, it's like they were meant to be together, they are the best of buddies
                        Good luck in finding a playmate

Comment

A Playmate for Buster

We have this big fat cat named Buster and he is extremely terriorial. Have tried to puppy site for my brothers little dog and that cat at a fit! He hissed and swatted that poor little dog across the room. He sits outside on the roof and dares any other cat to even come near our house. We have thought about getting a little dog or cat but I'm sure it wouldn't stand a chance. My boyfriend has a little dog that is only 5 lbs and I'm afraid for him to bring it over.

Any suggestions or do you think Buster will get over it?

nie
                          sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
                          !

nie

Comment

Buster needs a shrink. He has some serious control issues. Sounds like my Candy. Will he get over it? Hmmmmmm, send me $50, and I will look it up in my kitty medical book. It was written by Dra. Shiringa Matazanos. Great doctor. Got her practising license in Barsto, CA. That's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.

Anyhow, add another $25, I just gave you more info than you needed. Say hi to Buster. A cat after my own heart!!

Granny
                            sigpic

Comment

Way To Go Granny

I gave Buster your message and he just layed there! Oh that darn cat!

nie
                              sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
                              !

nie

Comment

Working...
                              X