To anyone from the UK....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To anyone from the UK....

I'm working on some family genealogy and I've run across a phrase that I'm unfamiliar with. I thought my friends here might be able to help me understand. It's about a soldier who died in World War I in 1920. He was from Stalybridge, England. It says he's "gone to the soldier's west". What does this refer to exactly? Is this a phrase still used there? What do they mean by "west"? Anyone?
    Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

hi melanie

i remember that phrase from school when we studies poetry so i googled and found this - should explain it for you http://beck.library.emory.edu/greatw...eaton_Eaton103

its not a phrase ive ever heard of so i guess its one that has been forgotten in the mists of time

An Exclusive Scrapbook Max designer
    , Check out my store
    Here

"If you look around and think the world is missing something, it is probably the gift you were supposed to be bringing."

Comment

THANK you!!! That sums it up perfectly. I tried to google it but didn't use the right wording I guess. Thanks so much for finding this.
      Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

My dad used to use the expression "gone west", generally connected with an object that had got broken. e.g. That clock's gone west then! I had forgotten about that till now! He was in India during the war too.
        Evee ~~~

CrystalInMinn, mh51and Carena are my buddies.

Comment

This was so interesting. Thanks for sharing the link. Also, to anyone from the UK - have you heard Susan Boyle sing on "Britain's Got Talent"? It's absolutely wonderful - you can get it on U-Tube.
          Julie

Comment

Evee, thanks for that bit of info. It let's me know the older generation still used that expression after the war and about things other than military.
            Melanie

Comment

Working...
            X