Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on external hard drives

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thoughts on external hard drives

    I think I finally reached the maximum capacity on my hard drive thanks to all the goodies found on this forum. I would like to buy an external drive to use with my laptop. Since several people on this forum are using external hard drives, what features would you recommend? What brands? Can the SBM program also be installed on the External drive?

  • #2
    I too would be interested in seeing replies to this one. Have been thinking about it also.

    Can it be used to 'back-up' files???

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, I've been a big Iomega fan for a long time... There products are solid, reasonable priced and reliable.

      I have one of the ION 80GB drives that I use for backups and never had a problem with it. It's great for transferring files back and forth from my desktop and laptop.



      Also, I believe Desmond mentioned that SBM should only be installed to your system drive and not a removable drive...
      sigpic
      Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
      My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by srussell View Post
        Well, I've been a big Iomega fan for a long time... There products are solid, reasonable priced and reliable.

        I have one of the ION 80GB drives that I use for backups and never had a problem with it. It's great for transferring files back and forth from my desktop and laptop.



        Also, I believe Desmond mentioned that SBM should only be installed to your system drive and not a removable drive...
        Did he Steve? Just the programme do you mean?
        My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by *eng* View Post
          Did he Steve? Just the programme do you mean?
          Yes, just the program
          sigpic
          Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
          My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

          Comment


          • #6
            I have the program on my harddrive and all the extras on a 300 gig external drive. Mine pop right into my computer or hook up with a usb cable. I have 2 hp harddrives and also a small 40 gig firelite, the size of a wallet.

            Comment


            • #7
              I just bought a 160GB Seagate...not portable...but i'm going to do some investigating online before I open the package...it was on sale for less than an 80GB portable which is what I have...got two on sale for a great price once...only one now because of the one i zapped...;o(

              I'll post if i can find customer reviews.

              Comment


              • #8
                Searched customer reviews and Consumer Reports online mag...opening box...;o) Consumer reports suggested at least a 300GB drive but since i have the other 80GB and a very small 30GB...I'm sure i'll be okay with the 160 for now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a 300 and a 100. I like my 100 as its so light and small and I can put it in my handbag if I want to hook up elsewhere. The 300 is heavy and tends to stay where it is!
                  My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by srussell View Post
                    Yes, just the program
                    Thanks Steve.

                    I agree about the transfer of files from pc to lappy and vice versa. One of the best accessories you can get.
                    My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have a big 300 mg Maxtor and love it keep all the pages i finished on it and have a photo file on it and a kit file on it its so handy and i use it just like my computer its just another drive . my son has a 500mg i love he better watch out or i may have 2 on here ha ha.
                      Mint


                      buddies are- angelwithin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I also have a couple of those Maxtor 300GB external drives that I bought for a music project a while back, but I'm using them for video storage right now.

                        Those are also great drives... They hold about 70 DVD's worth of data and are very reliable.

                        I still like to back all my scrapbook materials and the program folders onto a couple of DVD's every couple of months. You never know what'll happen next!
                        sigpic
                        Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
                        My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Marion View Post
                          I have the program on my harddrive and all the extras on a 300 gig external drive. Mine pop right into my computer or hook up with a usb cable. I have 2 hp harddrives and also a small 40 gig firelite, the size of a wallet.
                          Marion
                          I have an extra hp harddrive that I would love to use for backup. How did you connect yours ? The harddrive has nothing on it. The main cord that goes from puter to electrical outlet has been damaged. I think I may have to order new part. What will I need to connect harddrive to harddrive ?
                          Thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by *eng* View Post
                            I have a 300 and a 100. I like my 100 as its so light and small and I can put it in my handbag if I want to hook up elsewhere. The 300 is heavy and tends to stay where it is!

                            The 100 (Gb???) ~~ is it USB & simply plugs into your pc/laptop????
                            I'm seriously thinking of getting one..... any advice on UK prices would be appreciated.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Wickel View Post
                              Marion
                              I have an extra hp harddrive that I would love to use for backup. How did you connect yours ? The harddrive has nothing on it. The main cord that goes from puter to electrical outlet has been damaged. I think I may have to order new part. What will I need to connect harddrive to harddrive ?
                              Thanks
                              You can probably hook it up with a USB cable. I am not sure what you mean by connecting harddrive to harddrive. This one would show up as a extra harddrive with it's own letter. But yes, you may have to get a new power supply for it. Check with HP and see if you can get those as replacement parts.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X