My Template being claimed by another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Template being claimed by another

I was very disappointed to find that the Softball template that I had created back in May was used in this forum and basically claimed one they had made. It was just posted by this person today
    I quote..

"Here is one that I made for my daughter..
    Can you all please let me know if I am posting these correctly & that you can download them & use them????"

I know these are not copywrited but I spent time making this and I don't think it is fair that because she changed the writing she can claim it as one she made....the layout is exactly the same as well as everything else.This was my template that I shared in good faith and did not expect someone to do this.

Betsy

Betsy

Everyone on here are great and careful about giving credit where credit is do. I looked at the gallery but did not see the layout in the gallory. I'm sure that the wording was the problem. The person probably didn't properly word her comment. It would be easy to take credit in error. Maybe say something like " I made this layout for my daughter from a templete created by ...." This is a reminder for all of us to take extra care when using templetes created by others. I honestly believe this was an oversight!

I'm so sorry that you were hurt. You do lovely work and again we want to thank you for your contribution. Please keep up the great work!

nie
    sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
    !

nie

Comment

Originally posted by betsy
      I was very disappointed to find that the Softball template that I had created back in May was used in this forum and basically claimed one they had made. It was just posted by this person today
      I quote..

"Here is one that I made for my daughter..
      Can you all please let me know if I am posting these correctly & that you can download them & use them????"

I know these are not copywrited but I spent time making this and I don't think it is fair that because she changed the writing she can claim it as one she made....the layout is exactly the same as well as everything else.This was my template that I shared in good faith and did not expect someone to do this.

Betsy
      Betsy
      I am so sorry that I didnt give you the credit. I looked to try to find who had made the awesome templat, But I couldnt find it. I am truley sorry... I didnt do it on purpose.
      Im not that type of person....... Im sorry that I hurt you. Please accept my apoligy.
      Binkey

Comment

Originally posted by OnieRN
        Everyone on here are great and careful about giving credit where credit is do. I looked at the gallery but did not see the layout in the gallory. I'm sure that the wording was the problem. The person probably didn't properly word her comment. It would be easy to take credit in error. Maybe say something like " I made this layout for my daughter from a templete created by ...." This is a reminder for all of us to take extra care when using templetes created by others. I honestly believe this was an oversight!

I'm so sorry that you were hurt. You do lovely work and again we want to thank you for your contribution. Please keep up the great work!

nie
        Your so right Annie. I will for sure remember that. I just worded it badly....
        Im so sorry for upsetting you all. I am still so new to all of this
        Binkey

Comment

Your a sweetie Lilblinkie

I have always found the integrity of the people on this forum to be of the highest quality, so I was sure it was just an honest goof! My intention in responding to Betsy was to assure her that we are one big family and that we're proud of everyone's contribution.

On that note......... Keep on scrappin!

nie

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
          !

nie

Comment

Originally posted by OnieRN
            I have always found the integrity of the people on this forum to be of the highest quality, so I was sure it was just an honest goof! My intention in responding to Betsy was to assure her that we are one big family and that we're proud of everyone's contribution.

On that note......... Keep on scrappin!

nie
            Thanks Annie. I feel the same way. We are on Big Family!!
            That is why I felt so badly for hurting Betsy. I really love this site. I have learned so much & I know I will learn so much more...
            Binkey

Comment

Hey Lilbinkey.. I knew you would not intend anything wrong here.... in fact it was obvious because when Betsy first shared the template you openly gave her credit and praised her work .
              It was just the choice of words and I agree 100% with OnieRN that we do need to choose our phrases a bit more carefully ,
              and Betsy , hope your Ok now, We have never had any bad feelings on this forum and would hate to spoil the lovely atmosphere here.
              Hope you can understand how a simple choice of wording can create misunderstanding.
              I guess we get so many shared templates here and its easy to forget where we got which one from... and often we say "I made" ---meaning I put my photos in it..thats all!
              Like for instance I quote your post here:

taken word for word... DID YOU "CREATE" the Background , and the elements and the embellishments ( the gloves and bat and ball) Did you actually draw them in Photo shop from scratch...??? OR did you just put it together as your arrangement?
              IF someone else actually "created" the individual elements that went into your template they could take offense that you claimed to have "created" the template? But in your eyes you did create it because you arranged it..Do you see what I mean about "WORDS" we use.. and I know Lilbinkey did the same thing .. innocently using a phrase to desribe what she did with it.
              True we do give credit where credit i s due, but sometimes we dont know or cant remember where we got it from ( e.g. the embellishments in your original... did you give credit to the person who made them?Do you remember who made them?)
              Sorry if you DID actually draw and make your own original embellishments but I am just using it as an illustration to show you how easy it is to misunderstand or to take offense unneccesarily.
              Communication is the key to sorting out any issues we have on the forum and is is probably a kindness to send a Private message and see if it can be explained first so as not to cause public embarrasment if something was done inadvertantly.
              Your work is lovely and we are all sorry you were offended by this and hope it doesn't affect the way you view us here.. We are a cyber family and love the comraderie here.. we all look forward to many more beautiful shared templates done by you Betsy.
              Keep on Scrappin'
              Last edited by Moonbeam; 08-13-2006, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam
                Hey Lilbinkey.. I knew you would not intend anything wrong here.... in fact it was obvious because when Betsy first shared the template you openly gave her credit and praised her work .
                It was just the choice of words and I agree 100% with OnieRN that we do need to choose our phrases a bit more carefully ,
                and Betsy , hope your Ok now, We have never had any bad feelings on this forum and would hate to spoil the lovely atmosphere here.
                Hope you can understand how a simple choice of wording can create misunderstanding.
                I guess we get so many shared templates here and its easy to forget where we got which one from... and often we say "I made" ---meaning I put my photos in it..thats all!
                Like for instance I quote your post here:

taken word for word... DID YOU "CREATE" the Background , and the elements and the embellishments ( the gloves and bat and ball) Did you actually draw them in Photo shop from scratch...??? OR did you just put it together as your arrangement?
                IF someone else actually "created" the individual elements that went into your template they could take offense that you claimed to have "created" the template? But in your eyes you did create it because you arranged it..Do you see what I mean about "WORDS" we use.. and I know Lilbinkey did the same thing .. innocently using a phrase to desribe what she did with it.
                True we do give credit where credit i s due, but sometimes we dont know or cant remember where we got it from ( e.g. the embellishments in your original... did you give credit to the person who made them?Do you remember who made them?)
                Sorry if you DID actually draw and make your own original embellishments but I am just using it as an illustration to show you how easy it is to misunderstand or to take offense unneccesarily.
                Communication is the key to sorting out any issues we have on the forum and is is probably a kindness to send a Private message and see if it can be explained first so as not to cause public embarrasment if something was done inadvertantly.
                Your work is lovely and we are all sorry you were offended by this and hope it doesn't affect the way you view us here.. We are a cyber family and love the comraderie here.. we all look forward to many more beautiful shared templates done by you Betsy.
                Keep on Scrappin'
                Thanks Moonbeam... Beautifuly Said....
                Keep On Scrappin!! :-)

Comment

Here is a suggestion!!!!

My suggestion..... When we name our templetes, give it a name that links it to the person who designed the templete.... Example: Moonbeam's NAME OF TEMPLETE, or NAME OF TEMPLETE BY MOONBEAM. That way we will be able to identify who the creator is and give credit and also giving us more opportunities with using simular names. I have a templete called Wedding Day but someone else has one and I couldn't down load there's without over riding my own.

You have to admit, we are getting to be a very large exclusive group and we will be having more and more templetes showing up, and the names of those templetes will become more and more likely to have the a duplicate name.

nie

!

nie

Comment

I've had a similar problem, but I'm not going to point fingers. Please take another look at this post from our Adminstrator, it should clarify a point or two...
                    http://www.scrapbookmax.com/forums/s...5&postcount=10
                    sigpic
                    Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
                    My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

Steve

If I understand what happened...... the templete in question was originally posted as a templete then posted on the gallory by the second person, who customized it for her own page. I understand that we can post finished work on the gallory for all to see but can not share due to copyright issues. Is this right? I just know that I have been afraid to put any templete on the sharing corner because I do not remember where all my goodies have come from. We do not want to create a forum where people stop sharing because of misunderstandings etc.

nie

!

nie

Comment

Everyone should understand that this is a very GREY area regarding file sharing, so there is no perfect solution. It's the same thing in the music industry. Billions of song files are\have been shared and the artist is not compensated. And I'm certainly not trying to create distain among our members, just passing some info along. So everyone bear with me for a minute.

My understanding of everything that I've read on digital piracy on this and other forums boils down to this:

1. You are allowed to post any image created with SBM to this SMB Gallery.

2. You are allowed to post a template if you personally created and\or have license to (i.e. the original content that comes with SBM)

3. You should NOT post a template using other people's embellishments unless you have their permission

4. You should not post embellishments that you have paid for. Most TOU's say they are for your PERSONAL use only.

5. You should NOT distibute any fonts, regardless if you've paid for them.

6. You should NOT claim the work as your own unless you personally created the content or have license to do so.

7. You are NOT allowed to resell templates.

EXAMPLE:
                        If I created a template using one of Moonbeam's lacey embellishments (sorry, Moonbeam) and claim the work as my own without giving her credit and her permission, that's a NO!

EXAMPLE:
                        If I purchased a kit and posted a few embellishments to this forum, that's a NO!

EXAMPLE:
                        I created a template using content that was supplied from the SBM program or another approved source or content that' I've personally created in Photoshop, that's OK!

I hope this helps a little and gets eveyone thinking about this topic!

Steve
                        Last edited by srussell; 08-13-2006, 11:42 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much for that Steve, We all need reminding! I copied and pasted this bit:
                          It is important to note that you should only post templates that you have created yourself, with embellishments you have made yourself (or you have permission from the copyright holder to use them in your template). Uploading files that are not yours to share is a big no-no.

Look Guys .. this is a learning curve for all of us.. I know I posted some No no's in the beginning before I even thought about copyrights Derr!!
                          But the link this is from and the link Steve mentioned is from Admin here on Scrapbok Max.. so thats what we need to apply to our sharing here.
                          To me that reads we really shouldn't share a template If we didn't create it ourselves... to just show others we need to put it in the gallery not share it.
                          Apart from the legal ramifications we do not want to spoil the nice atmosphere we have here by offending others.
                          so maybe its good this has happened and we can all learn from it hey!

Comment

Again Steve thanks for that.. Your explanation is very clear and plain ... and I should mention too that I have had it happen to me, that someone has taken a template I created and shared then a month later put it one here to share "her creation" .. I felt quite hurt .. but did and said nothing believing that it was just her choice of words... but your detailed list there really shows us we should not post a template to share if it's one we haven't created ourselves.
                            So I guess the key factor in sharing is "Did I personally make all the elements in this? " OR do I have the license to SHARE this? other wise put it in the Gallery anyway.. we all love viewing the gallery
                            ... and I guess this will come up again and again over time as new ones enter the forum and /or we forget ( senility)

Comment

I'm going to start a new thread about File Sharing in the General Discussion section. we cannot talk about this enough.

Moonbeam - If you would like to copy your last posts into this thread, we can keep it organized.

http://www.scrapbookmax.com/forums/s...00&postcount=1
                              Last edited by srussell; 08-14-2006, 07:38 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X