Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I EXTRACT from Corel PHOTOPAINT 9.00???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I EXTRACT from Corel PHOTOPAINT 9.00???

My husband noticed less hair on my head and I told him I've spent countless hours on Corel Photo-Paint 9 trying to figure out how to take objects out of a picture leaving the background OUT..keep getting white square box around cropped objects. I've pulled far too many hairs out. He told me to ask you gurus that make great embellishments. I've tried eraser tool but the job doesn't keep. Read the directions in the help section. Is this program just too old?? What's a MASK anyway?? I can cut the picture but not nice and neat. Talks about transparency tool but can't seem to make the background transparent. You all talk about Adobe Photoshop Elements..too close to Christmas and I just don't want to invest anymore money in this if I can get something else to do the job. Anyone have any experience with this program? Can you translate the process into layman terms?? Your suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I haven't looked yet but I bought a tutorials cd and although I have yet to use it it looks really good.
    My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Comment

Wonder.... I don't use Corel, but most image editors have a "Magic Wand" on the tool bar, usually to the left of the page. Open the image on your work area, then click on the magic wand, and then click on the background. Now, hit delete on your keyboard. If you don't get the edges really clean, you can always adjust the tolerance on the wand.

I'm going to see if Corel has a trial period, and then I may download it and try to play with it. There is also the Gimp, a free editor you can download, and it probably does it too.

Give me some time to check it out, and I'll get back to you with an answer.

Granny
      sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

Originally posted by Granny View Post
        Wonder.... I don't use Corel, but most image editors have a "Magic Wand" on the tool bar, usually to the left of the page. Open the image on your work area, then click on the magic wand, and then click on the background. Now, hit delete on your keyboard. If you don't get the edges really clean, you can always adjust the tolerance on the wand.

I'm going to see if Corel has a trial period, and then I may download it and try to play with it. There is also the Gimp, a free editor you can download, and it probably does it too.

Give me some time to check it out, and I'll get back to you with an answer.

Granny
        Forget the tutorials cd...you've got an interactive one now
        My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Comment

Oh, Eng.... I can't find Photopaint 9 anywhere. It is now part of a Suite. If you have the answer, please, spill the beams.

I think Steve did mention that the Gimp will do this. That's my next option. I will have to ask him about it.

Hang in there, Wonder. We'll have you totally confused before long!

Granny
          sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Comment

I can smell the smoke from here!!

You guys are cookin!! I have Gimp 2 but couldn't figure out how to save and crop irregular objects and extract them. When I get close to a breakthrough..a square white box always accompanies the image and doesn't do well as a embellishment on the page. I have the Corel 9 user guide but it doesn't speak at the dumb comprehension level. Talks nothing about extracting. Most everything I try to save disappears..or never makes it to it's location designated. Does the Embellishment maker convert for me??I might let off some steam on that for awhile. I went to Corel website and as low as they go is Corel 10. Close but no cigar yet!! I really appreciate your efforts but don't want you losing hair folicles too!! I'm going to write Scrapbook Max Irregular on my bald spots!! THANKS!!

Comment

Look, Wonder, maybe you're going at this all wrong. The first thing you need to do is read up on selecting. Or Magic Wand. That will show you how to select a certain area. Usually, once something is selected, all you do is hit delete and it gets rid of those areas. You may have to promote the layer also, so that when you delete, you have a transparent background.

Then, once the image is clean the way you want it, you have to save it or export it as a transparent png, or 32 png.

So read up under transparency, magic wand, or selecting.

Granny
              sigpic

Comment

I use PhotoShop and I have to make a transparent layer under the picture. Then when I crop or erase, I can see the transparent layer under the picture.

I would think Corel Photopaint would be similar.

Comment

Also in some programs, when you save as a .png, you can to set white as transparent in your settings.

Comment

My eyes popped out of their socks reading so much

Was able to erase the background several times..but could never get the transporter working to remember I deleted the background. It got ugly with me and shutdown a few times after following the directions to a tee. I think it is too old for my system or I'm too old for it..So Granny, I'm GREAT-GREAT Grandma now!! And when I can find my eyeballs I might see what I did wrong. Loved the tutorial Corey or Steve put together with the daffodil so I gave up the ghost and just purchased an Adobe Photeshop Elements 4.0 on ebay for total of $27. My frustration level ought to be better then. Until then I'm wearing a WIG!! Thanks for the effort!!! Do I need to send you a WIG too???

Comment

Transparency in Gimp 2

I had written this in an earlier thread and I'm reposting it for you.

Making transparent files in Photoshop Elements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions to remove white background from Clipart or embellishments using Photoshop Elements
                      1.Open your clipart picture or embellishment you want to make transparent.
                      2.Double-click on background layer. It should say new layer O. Click ok.
                      3.Click on the white background with the magic wand; you should see the “marching ants” now.
                      4.Go to edit and click cut. You should now have a checkerboard background.
                      5.Go to file and then to save for web. A new screen comes up. Be sure it says PNG-24 and there is a checkmark beside transparency. Click ok.
                      6.You get your save box so you can choose the folder you want to save it in and a file name. Be sure the save type in PNG.

You can also do this in GIMP and Paint Shop Pro, but it is done a little differently in each program.

To do it in Gimp, follow this tutorial. It sounds long, but is very easy and works for me everytime.

1. Open you picture.
                      2. Go to layer
                      3. Click on transparency and then go to the right & click on alpha channel.
                      4. Go to tools--select tools--fuzzy select
                      5. Click on the background with the fuzzy select tool (magic wand in some
                      programs)
                      6. You will see the marching ants outlining your picture.
                      7. Go to edit--cut.
                      8. Go to file--same as. Name your element and select folder to save in.
                      9. Click on select file type
                      10. Click on png.
                      11. Click on save. A box comes up. Be sure to put check marks beside save background color; save resolution; save color values.
                      12. Hit ok and you're done.
                      This works best with a white background. It only takes seconds to do once you see what has to be done.

I hope this helps you. I, too nearly pulled my hair out until I figured this out.
                      I wish I knew how to make a tutorial with screen shots to show you, but I don't have a clue as to how to do that. I bet one of the others on the forum could, though. (Steve, Granny, Cory, Desmond to name a few)
                      sigpic

Comment

Wonderlicious!!!

Can wait to try this with the Gimp and as soon as my Adobe Photoshop gets here to do the same on it!! Got lots of fun embellishments to share and do a better job decorating my pages. Hope they will benefit everyone!! Thanks so much for your efforts!!

Comment

You're very welcome!
                          sigpic

Comment

oh, oh, OOOOHHHHHH!! Mission ACCOMPLISHED!

I feel like a new woman!! LINDA...it WORKED on GIMP GREAT!!! I'm now elevated to 1st grade level thanks to you!! GRANNY ...I can SEE now!! This is my hubby's Corel program and he couldn't help me. The ALpha Channel was missing from my efforts. Can't wait to go play with my new toy!!
                            Oh, yeah, Oh, yeah...Oh yeah, oh yeah, OH YEAH!!!
                            THanks so much "eng" "sambrook" for your efforts too!!

Comment

I'm so happy for you; just made my day brighter!!! I was in your place once and I remember how excited I was when I finally GOT it! It opens a whole new world of possibilities. Have fun with it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X