How many Fonts are too many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Fonts are too many?

Every time I go to use MS works or sometimes even word I get this annoying message about having too many fonts...I have like 500 MAYBE. I know some graphic programs come with THOUSANDS of them. SO how many is too many? I like fonts and I think the more the merrier but will having a thousand or so make your computer crash? run away? become reclusive? Woah is meeee!!!

My Bud's 'R' Marion, Verleen and Jormanoy
    Love is not blind. It sees more not less and because it sees more, it's willing to see less.

500 fonts shouldn't be too many! One neat free program is The Font Thing. You can store fonts there until you want to use them and then install them. It's one way not to have to work your way through so many!
    Julie

Comment

ooh, thanks for that tip Julie.
      [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][IMG]

Comment

A font tip...

Your fonts are usually located in "C:\Windows\Fonts". It not usually a good idea to put too many fonts in this folder as it will slow any application that uses fonts way down...

One thing you can do is to remove some of the fonts you use to another folder and use an app like "The Font Thing" to organize your fonts...

I don't know about you, but I don't really need all those Christmas fonts loaded into memory right now...
        sigpic
        Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
        My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

I found the font thing about a month ago ..... I love it.
          Sue xx

sigpic Makeyesup and Marion are my Buddies

Relax, take it easy and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by srussell View Post
            I don't know about you, but I don't really need all those Christmas fonts loaded into memory right now...
            Steve what do ya mean! Is Christmas OVER??????? Oh Man, I am always last to know these things! Gotta take the trees down now!!!!!

My Buddies: Jazz, Smile, Sue, Eng and Eye "CHILLS", Poppabob, PKdoll, Onie, Pickngrin

Comment

You too????

Originally posted by crops2dawn View Post
              Steve what do ya mean! Is Christmas OVER??????? Oh Man, I am always last to know these things! Gotta take the trees down now!!!!!
              WOW! and I though I was the only one ! lmao

Love is not blind. It sees more not less and because it sees more, it's willing to see less.

Comment

Steve is absolutely right.

Another thing you should know about fonts....

Every time you install a program, new fonts for that program will be installed in your Windows font folder. So, do not remove fonts from that folder unless you know for sure that none of your programs need those fonts in order to work. Trust me, I found out the hard way. It's great two have as many fonts as you can. You can never have too many, but.... Do not install them in your Windows font folder unless you are using them. Fonts take a lot of memory, and can really slow down your computer. I have thousands of fonts in cd's but only install the ones I need for a particular job. Also, if you have a good font organizer, you can install them to a temporary folder. Once you turn off your computer, they will be cleared from memory.

But again, please, the thing to remember is not to install a bunch of fonts in Windows font folder just because you have them available to you, and do not remove any unless you know that they are not being used by a particular program.

Hope this helps.

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

ok, where do I find it?

The Font Thing that is? and tanks a bunch granny, I DO know about fonts in the windows folder which is why I never install fonts from programs I throw on my puter anymore. But I sure as heck would like the option of using different ones for different projects lol.

Comment

Never Knew

Dang Granny, wished I had known all this about the fonts before I installed all of them into my Windows folder. I have about 1300 fonts in that folder! I have noticed that everytime I go to close windows, I get a message about my memory. hummmmmmm wonder if it's related!
                    sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
                    !

nie

Comment

Onie, look at the fonts in the folder with the Font Thing, or another font viewer. If they are dingbats, or really unsuall fonts, chances are that no programs need it to run. If you don't have too many programs install, then you can check the programs and get an idea of what fonts they use.

Just be carefull what you remove from there.
                      sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Comment

I will .....

I will start checking out those FONTS carefully. So it would have been better if I had just put them into another folder! I bet that is why I keep using up my memory! I know I have too much stuff running in the background but have no idea how that happened.

Thanks for the tip Granny! I know we have fun teasing with you and your such a big hearted friend. Your a wealth of information and we truly appreciate all you share with us! Just wanted to let you know that your loved!
                        sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
                        !

nie

Comment

Originally posted by OnieRN View Post
                          I will start checking out those FONTS carefully. So it would have been better if I had just put them into another folder! I bet that is why I keep using up my memory! I know I have too much stuff running in the background but have no idea how that happened.

Thanks for the tip Granny! I know we have fun teasing with you and your such a big hearted friend. Your a wealth of information and we truly appreciate all you share with us! Just wanted to let you know that your loved!

GRANNY ~~~~ DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you girls. I learn a lot from all of you. That's the beauty of it all, no man is an island, and no one knows every thing. Well, except Crops, but then, she is special!

sigpic

Comment

Granny, I thought I was the man on the island? Exiled to the isle of male misfit toys?
                              sigpic
                              Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
                              My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

Working...
                              X