Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Difference between WinZip & RAR??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Difference between WinZip & RAR??

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between WINZIP and RAR?

Is there a way I can extract RAR files with WINZIP or do I have to download RAR.

Thanking you

Aggie
    My Buddies are: Angelwithin, O2BNGdhope, Moonlight Pearl, Marion, , pkdoll, Smile, Eye, Oceania

You can download "extractNow" for free and it unzips both.

Comment

The newest version of WinZip will also unzip .RAR files, too.
      Lori in Tennessee
      Scrappin' since November 2007

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.

My Buddy is Ryansmom66.

Comment

Thank u Very Much

Thank u for your replies, I will try both avenues.

kindest regards

My Buddies are: Angelwithin, O2BNGdhope, Moonlight Pearl, Marion, , pkdoll, Smile, Eye, Oceania

Comment

Winzip is only free for a certain amount of time and then you have to purchase it. ExtractNow is totally free. So try both and see what you like best.

Comment

You can also try 7zip, which supports .zip, .rar, and many other file formats.

http://www.7zip.org

That's what I use.

Desmond.
            |

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Marion for that info.

Desmond is 7zip a free version???

thanking you once again

Comment

Yes it is!

Desmond.
                |

Comment

I too use 7zip...Works with almost every file I came across...lol...
                  I am a Designer 4 ScrapbookMax! Check out my STORE...Thanks!

Comment

Many thanks

thanks for your replies, I have downloaded both extract now and 7zip and shall have the both on hand.

thanks once again

kindest regards

Comment

Ok. Now I'm lost. I downloaded the 7zip. I have 4 different rar files that I downloaded to my desktop and then found out I couldn't open them with my windows unzipper. Now, I don't understand how to open the rar files to extract the files inside. When I click on them they say windows can't open them. It lets me select a program to open it with but the 7zip isn't listed (nor is the regular zip extractor). I went into 7zip but couldn't figure out how to bring the rar file in to un-rar it? Any help?
                      Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

Oh, it sounds frustrating. I don't have 7zip but I do have Extract Now. Maybe they work the same way. I open Extract Now and then drag the zipped files into the program. Then I click on extract and within seconds they are unzipped and are in folders in the same place the zipped files were (in my case, on the desktop). It unzips rar files, too. If you can't get this solved, try downloading Extract Now (which is free) and then dragging the zipped files into it.

Hope this helps. There are loads of experts here - I hope they have a 7zip solution for you.
                        Julie

Comment

Like MaggieMae, I use extract now all the time. Especially when you have a lot to unzip. You can drag as many files as you want into it (zip and rar) and it works great and opens them all at once back into the original folder.

Comment

Re: Winzip or winrar

You could also try ZipAlot,it's free and can extract all kinds of files like zip,rar,ace mp3 and a whole lot more.But what's even better about this program is that it can unzip not only one file at a time but a whole directory you choose(In other words it can batch extract.)!Even if it has 200 or 300 files in it,it does it in no time.If you're interested here is a download link and you can read more about it as well.
                            http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U...s/ZipALot.html
                            My buddies are: Eye,Marion,Carena,Moonbeam,Moonlightpearl,pkdoll and scrappyaggie48

Comment

thanks everyone. I'll check out these others since no one's answered about the 7zip.
                              Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

Working...
                              X